Don’t let a major mold infestation can ruin your health — or your home!
How to Identify Mold
Almost every home gets mold infestations, even in hot, dry climates like Las Vegas. Mold is everywhere. It’s a fungus that grows from tiny spores that float in the air. It can grow almost anywhere that spores land and find moisture and a comfortable temperature, between 40 and 100 degrees F. That includes almost every damp place in your home.
Mildew is a common type of mold which begins as tiny, usually black spots but often grows into larger patches. It’s the black stuff you see in the grout lines in your shower, on damp walls, and outdoors on the surfaces of deck boards and painted siding, especially in damp and shady areas. It is often hard to distinguish a mildewed surface from a dirty one. An easy way to test for mildew is to simply dab a few drops of household bleach on the blackened area. If it lightens after one to two minutes, you have mildew. If the area remains dark, you probably have dirt.
If you have a high concentration of mold, you may smell it. If you detect the typical musty odor, check for mold on damp carpets, damp walls, damp crawl spaces and wet wood under your floors, wet roof sheathing and other damp areas. Clean up these infestations right away before they get worse.
Removing Large Mold Infestations Requieres Precautions
A few types of mold are highly toxic. If you have an allergic reaction to mold or a heavy infestation inside your home, call Flood Restoration Specialists at 702-736-1000 to analyze the types.
You can commonly find surface mold in bathrooms, decks and siding. But often mold grows and spreads in places you don’t notice until you spot surface staining, feel mushy drywall or detect that musty smell.
Containing The Contamination Area is of At Most Importance
3 Dangers of Mold Removal
1. Inadequate equipment.
Special supplies and equipment needed in order to properly perform a mold remediation job. This includes air filtration devices that get strategically placed inside the work area and are usually vented out through a window to create negative air pressure. This insures that no outside contaminants are entering the structure during remediation.
2. Insufficient personal protective wear.
Protect yourself and others from getting sick or cross contamination. Many will not take the proper precautions to protect themselves. Anyone trained to handle contaminants knows that there are certain ways to get in and out of your protective wear to prevent the spread or inhalation of the contaminant.
There are hours of training involved, including being fit for a respirator. Buying a paint suit and dust mask from the hardware store is not enough protection.
As a mold remediation contractor, many times we find ourselves in complicated situations and have to use our many hours of training to troubleshoot the scenario. Nothing is “black and white” and almost every job needs some type of specialized attention. Sometimes this requires us to reference our training textbooks or even call a professor for advice.